Monday, September 04, 2006

Labor Day's BBQ @ Linda's

What's Memorial day , July 4th or Labor Day's three day weekends w/out BBQ, right? ;) Since we didn't have it during those first two holidays, we decided to have it today. On Thursday, preparation started when Alex and Linda came over to pick up the BBQ grill from my place. Since I haven't use it for two yrs. and not planning to use it anytime soon, I decided to put it at Linda's place 'til the next time I have BBQ at my place (he he he! only thing so far I'm lending to her instead of giving it to her). Since Linda didn't need us to bring anything for main course, we decided to bring dessert (fruit w/green grass jelly). On Sun. Mike and I went to Costco to get fruit and didn't make it to Lion's to get green grass jelly until right before we got to Linda's place on Mon. Mike and I had to spend Sun. afternoon to clean, polish, and wax my car (been pushing it for a month). By the time we finished, almost 4hrs. later, we were too tired to go anywhere. (I hate the I-880 constructions! My car got so many chips from the flying rocks and splashing blue paints. My company's parking lot this summer have a lot of bird dodo. I thought I clean them as soon as I spot them. Guess I missed a few spots. It stripped the top coating of the paint protector by the time I washed my car. =(...)

Finally the day came and we (Mike, Lily and I) were on our way to Linda's house. I thought we were supposed to be there around noon, instead it was anytime after noon. So, of course, we were the earliest. But it didn't help 'cuz Diana's in charge of the meat and she wasn't there yet. They (Diana, Chris and the kids and their friend Frank) didn't get there 'til 1:30PM. By that time, we were so hungry, we started eating cheese w/crackers. Once Diana got there, the eating started. We had delicious food (thought I saw shrimps but I didn't see any after it was cooked). Diana's a really good cook. And can't believe she not only marinated all the food, she also ended up cooking for all of us. Yes, we were spoiled. The day went on with friends slowly coming every hour or two 'til 6ish PM. Most turned out to be old friends from school or church (interesting that most of us work for Genen Tech or Intel). Half way thru, we started playing Cantonese M.J. Yes, we combined American BBQ w/Chinese M.J. Hey, we're mostly Chinese Americans there (the two non-Chinese knew how to play, too). Guess how old was our youngest player? 6. Surprised? I was. Hey Ben, someone beat you by 4 yrs. The party started to die down at 8ish PM. Everyone had to work the next day, so back to reality. But I was glad we had the BBQ. I had a really good time seeing some old friends and meeting some new ones.